Friday, March 25, 2011

4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



I bought this buggy for $150 and I ordered an adapter plate from kennedy eng. for a 4a-fe. I have the donor car still so anything I need from it I have. I need some help with the wiring and fuel pressure issues. My big questions at this time are:

1) where is the circuit opening relay located on the car? (above fusebox inside car?)



2) Where can I find an inline fuel pump rated for the 4a-fe pressure? (30-33 psi was what I've found) (the cheaper the better)



3) Has anyone setup a 4a-fe with efi system on an off-road or standalone application? (I'm using as much of the car as I can. harness, ecu, intake, etc. )

Reply 1 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



[IMG][/IMG]

Reply 2 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



[IMG][/IMG]

Reply 3 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



[IMG][/IMG]

Reply 4 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



That's pretty Fuckin BADASS!!! and i thought i was original :P



You can pretty much run the whole electronics in stock form just removing the body harness and your done!

well not really...



i use a walbro 255 fuel-pump at about 100psi and if anything it ran better in stock form! i would recommend it over most fuel-pumps oem or after-market.



as for the electronics i would just try to make it work in stock form so you don't have to remember how you ran a wire every time you have a prob.

Reply 5 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



always wondered what people in OK did... lol

Reply 6 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



If you use a Walbro (about $100), you could use a cheap fuel pressure regulator to turn the pressure down to whatever level you want. Those Walbros are very good pumps, if a bit noisy.



Nice project too. Keep us informed of how it works out.

Reply 7 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



Nice! why a 4AFE though?

Reply 8 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions




Quote:








Originally Posted by REN69
View Post

Nice! why a 4AFE though?



Guessing: because he had one in his donor car. And he'll probably still be looking at a 1:10 power to weight ratio.

Reply 9 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



yeah in something like that... a 4afe is PLENTY... wont there be an issue with the engine sticking out the back way to much? Wouldn't think you would want so much weight over hanging the back like that

Reply 10 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



if you look he's got a section missing from the rear and without completely changing drive-trains to something like an MR-2 he doesn't really have a choice... that's why he is a bit forward for a dune-buggy to counter-weight.



all in all this would be a ton of fun!! might even consider using a 4af with a nasty carb!!! say bye bye electronics...

Reply 11 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



oh and here is a 250hp 9000rpm 4afe the way it should be...







and a 20v for shits




Reply 12 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



Damn, now that's a 4afe! Where do you get racing parts for that engine? I've never seen racing stuff except pistons for the 4afe.



Okay, so I got my wiring down to just the engine after several hours. I have a single plug that I can jumper-wire and make electricity go to all sensors, fuel injectors, distributor, and I can kick the starter and cold-start injector by jumping another terminal. So as far as wiring, I'm doing good.



No word yet on the adapter plate. But should be soon, then the real fun begins.



And this is the only thing to do in oklahoma besides meth and fat girls. (not fond of meth, but fat girls aren't too bad)

Reply 13 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions



Oh, ghosty was right. I bought the donor for $100 and got it running in a few hours. I chose the 4afe because they are cheap, reliable, readily available, and did I mention cheap? Plus I have an extra engine to start building up if this project somehow needs more power.(not likely) I want efi because the stock carbs on those cars are crappy, I've had my share of aisin fits! And I don't want to spend the bucks on a weber or holley performance carb. The efi will be very reliable when I get it setup, hopefully. I'm worried about the oiling on this engine when I climb steep hills, cause it only hold 3 quarts. You guys think I may have an oiling issue on long hill climbs?

Reply 14 : 4a-fe dune buggy need opinions




Quote:








Originally Posted by okiejoe
View Post

Oh, ghosty was right. I bought the donor for $100 and got it running in a few hours. I chose the 4afe because they are cheap, reliable, readily available, and did I mention cheap? Plus I have an extra engine to start building up if this project somehow needs more power.(not likely) I want efi because the stock carbs on those cars are crappy, I've had my share of aisin fits! And I don't want to spend the bucks on a weber or holley performance carb. The efi will be very reliable when I get it setup, hopefully. I'm worried about the oiling on this engine when I climb steep hills, cause it only hold 3 quarts. You guys think I may have an oiling issue on long hill climbs?



it's possible... but you could custom fab a bigger pan to make it hold more, the pan is fairly oddly shaped stock which is why it only holds 3 quarts.



or you could just go dry sump like the buggy above did

No comments:

Post a Comment