Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Accident - broke something underneath



Hi all - my wife was driving (05 XLE) at night and hit something on the highway. It banged loudly underneath. I checked it out and under the drivers seat area is a black plastic "tray". If you take it off there is a black box attached to the bottom of the van and about a third of this is gone/broken. There is a large spring with what looks like a vacuum filter attached to it as well as a million little black pellets. They smear if I step on them so I'm wondering if they're charcoal or something.



I think this is my first post and I can't figure out how to add pictures which I'm sure would help.



I'm just trying to find out what this box is and what's its function is. The car doesn't seem to be acting any differently since the accident. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply 1 : Accident - broke something underneath



OK - I think I figured out the picture thing:








Reply 2 : Accident - broke something underneath



It the Vapor Canister



http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/200...enna-xle-5.htm



http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VAPOR...fAccesso ries

Reply 3 : Accident - broke something underneath



Yup.

Reply 4 : Accident - broke something underneath



Thank you both for confirming. I'll probably attempt DIY so if anyone has advice or safety concerns please let me know.



Thanks again.

Reply 5 : Accident - broke something underneath



Yep, it's a vapor canister to help burn off any extra gas fumes from the tank. Those little pellets ARE charcoal. IIRC, it's a dealer only part and you need to replace it ASAP cause it will throw out CEL codes soon. While it may not affect the daily drive, it will affect gas consumption. While you're at it check out the hoses attached to it s well. Sometimes they crack and lose their seal and that will set off codes as well. The rubber ones can be bought at any auto parts store but the hard plastic one in the foreground may be a dealer part as well. If you need to replcae the hoses, I suggest you use stainless steel screw-type clamps as opposed to the tension clamps you see there. just my $0.02. HTH.

Reply 6 : Accident - broke something underneath



Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm for anyone who has issues in the future, this was a very easy DIY. I ordered the part from dealerdirectparts.com for $280 which included expedited shipping. Local dealer was well over $300.



After removing the fairly thin "protective" plastic tray under the van you need to remove 3 hoses and one electrical connector. Then it's just 3 bolts and the old canister will come off. Reverse this for the new canister and you're back in business.



It did take a few days for the CEL to come on and my VSC lights came on as well for some reason. After the install I cleared the codes and none have come back. I'm also going to install a small metal L bracket using one of the existing bolts on the front of the protective tray. This canister is clearly not protected well enough so I think putting a little metal in front of it will prevent future issues.



Thanks again for all the insight, prior to this I had no idea this thing even existed.

Reply 7 : Accident - broke something underneath



That is a very good idea. Almost like a skid plate.. Please post a pic of it if you do decide to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment