Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My first autox a learning experiance



Man oh man I had a blast today.

My first run of the day I did 84.2seconds my last run of the day I completed in 69.1 seconds. Still slow, but not bad for my first time. I have decided that I need to take some parts off so I can compete in the HS class instead of the STS class. Since I am running an AE101 with the 1.6.



My shorty intake is out now I just need to find a good high flow drop in air filter. Also my suspension is 15 years old, so I am sure if I replace my bushings, sway bar links and whatnot I would see a big improvement in my handling. New shocks all around can be any brand, but the springs need to be OEM. Also a lighter set of stock sized wheels may be in order as well. Welp now I got my shopping list time to do my research, and get cracking. Anyone have any suggestions?



For now the people I have been talking to say I need to focus on my driving more than anything, but having a fixed up suspension will help.



Look ahead it is fun



results will be posted in a couple of days at www.autox4u.com for the NY chapter SCCA event

Reply 1 : My first autox a learning experiance



I was thinking about doing Auto X. For you was it a good experience or do you have people acting like high schools kids showing off and running there mouths if you go slow or mess up? I really want to get into it but if people run there mouths then I will wait.

Reply 2 : My first autox a learning experiance



Awesome ! Glad you like it !! as for the people... This will vary upon area & club's you compete in... but the club i compete in is by far the best group of people ive ever dealt with in the car world... Everyone is more then willing to help you out either in car setup, or if you have car problems... Asking for rides & getting advise is also easy to come by... Everyone seems to be good pals & its only competitive if you make it that way, otherwise even if your slow & they see you knocking 3 seconds off your time, you still get alot of respect & congrats on loosing those 3 seconds.. i could keep going on, but i think you get the picture ; ) all in all i hope you get back out there & continue to get more seat time !! The modifications will come but in autoX Seat time is far more valuable then the modification to your car..



~Dan

Reply 3 : My first autox a learning experiance



I have't had the experiance of people running their mouths off. Everyone was really cool, and for some strange reason people were wondering about how my times were. Even people running in the other classes with cars that are vastly superior to mine. That was kinda cool. I think this weekend I need to wash m car before the event

Reply 4 : My first autox a learning experiance



Alright thats awesome. I had a feeling it was just more of a one time only experience. It was not racing for me it was a fighting ring with MMA fighters running there mouths. So I am going to try auto X when I get some time.

Reply 5 : My first autox a learning experiance



I've been autox'ing for about 10 years and its pretty rare to get put down by anyone,we were all new at this at 1 time or another.

Reply 6 : My first autox a learning experiance



This thread is very reassuring, since I think I'll be doing my first autox later this year. Broke, any advice for a first timer?

Reply 7 : My first autox a learning experiance



Advise for a first timer.... humm where should i start.. or.... lol



This is the Novice Handbook ! i highly suggest you read it ; )



http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Reply 8 : My first autox a learning experiance



Thanks a lot! I just read the whole thing and it was very helpful.

Reply 9 : My first autox a learning experiance



Also check out the rulebook to find the allowances so you can bring your car to the top of your class and not bump you into the bottom of the next class up. Although my last event I did beat a couple of Mustangs through the course. I also didn't get lost because I learned to look ahead

Reply 10 : My first autox a learning experiance



i run in fsp class with 5th gen tercel but im about to go sm class since im doing 4efte swap

Reply 11 : My first autox a learning experiance



Auto-x is awesome, simply for the reason that it is a simulation of driving on the track. You learn that it's not really about the car as much as it is about the driver, and you also learn about your car. Every time some ricer/poser idiot tells me how fast his car is and how he "races", I tell him to go to an autocross and come back with his times.

No comments:

Post a Comment