Tuesday, March 22, 2011

P0304 and P0171 in '03 Matrix



So this is my first post here and it's not a good one... My 2003 Matrix XR AWD started to misfire about a week ago. I noticed it more during hard acceleration or low rpm's. It has gotten a lot worse within the last couple of days. It misfires/hesitates a lot more now. It is still only doing it during acceleration or low rpm's, but it runs perfectly fine after about 20 minutes of driving. I wasn't getting a CEL this whole time. I just replaced the spark plugs and that was not the problem. Today I was driving home from class and it finally threw out a CEL. It came on then would blink intermittently and then it eventually remained lit. I rushed over to Advance and these are the codes that popped up; P0304(Cylinder #4 Misfire) and P0171(System too lean). My first guess is the injector on cylinder #4, but I would like some suggestions on where I should start so I don't end up spending all of my drug money on this. Thanks!

Reply 1 : P0304 and P0171 in '03 Matrix



Anyway, does your car fit theses symptoms and how cold is it where you live?: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sk...rolla_0171.pdf



How many miles and when was the last time you changed the plugs? You could rotate the plugs and see if it comes back. How does your engine behave on cold start ups? Tach bouncing or steady?

Reply 2 : P0304 and P0171 in '03 Matrix




Quote:








Originally Posted by mikered30
View Post

Anyway, does your car fit theses symptoms and how cold is it where you live?: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sk...rolla_0171.pdf



How many miles and when was the last time you changed the plugs? You could rotate the plugs and see if it comes back. How does your engine behave on cold start ups? Tach bouncing or steady?



It's below freezing here in Ohio and yes it has those symptoms stated in the .pdf. I changed the plugs two days ago with Bosch Platinum. It usually runs worse during cold start ups rather than warm. I don't notice the tach bouncing, but I start my car and let it warm up before I leave so I don't really pay attention to it. I will next time though. Oh, and it has 170k miles on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment