Thursday, March 17, 2011

Finally got my A/C fixed.. A/C work isn't nearly as hard as I thought



I had changed A/C parts before but have never "charged" a system before.. I usually would fix a part then take it to a guy I know who would charge it for me for about $50..



background story: I have had a slow leak for years in the Highlander.. at first it was only a can of freon per summer.. then it was a can every 3 months and then finally a can every month.. then one day i put in a can.. and 3 days later it was gone.. So I took it to a shop I trusted and told them to just find the leak (it cost me $50). They told me my condensor was shot. and quoted me $1025 to fix it. Essentially $500 for labor and $500 for parts..



I had always planned on fixing it myself and then having someone else charge the system.. I look around on Rockauto and I find a closeout condenser for $110. order it and it sits in my garage till I could get to it.. Finally I get around to looking at the truck.. i figured it'd be a pain.. I'd have to remove the bumper or radiator.. both of which I wasn't looking forward to.. but turns out the radiator support unbolts in the center.. and it just lifts straight out!!! I had the old condensor out in 10 minutes and the new one in even quicker (I did have to also remove the grill) So I get everything installed and all the lines hooked up.. I figured I'd wait 2 days till Monday and then go take off a part of work and go have the freon put in..



Then I got thinking I needed to get some R-134A gauges anyways (always handy to have around).. so I checked to see if autozone had vacuum pumps to rent.. sure enough they did.. I also found a set of R134A gauges for $55 but the package was opened so they gave it to me for $45.. BOOYAH!



Took it home and my dad and I hooked the pump up.. left it on for about an hour.. then added a can of freon.. Tested it out and it blowing ice cold again



I always had a fear of working on the A/C system for some off reason.. the 3 things I always took my car to a shop for was A/C work, mounting and balancing tires, and Alignment.. Now all I have to do is figure out how to mount balance and align my truck at home and I'd never step foot in a shop again.. LOL



A/C Condenser $110

R134a gauges $45

Can of R134A $8

R8 A/C oil $7



vacuum pump rental (free)



Total spent $170

Quote from shop $1025



Savings $848!!!!

Reply 1 : Finally got my A/C fixed.. A/C work isn't nearly as hard as I thought




Quote:








Originally Posted by midnight02
View Post



Savings $848!!!!





That's got to feel good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment