Friday, March 25, 2011

1992 front cartridge-style or sealed strut assembly?



Hi, folks.



I don't post here often, but it's finally time to re-do the struts on my 1992 DX sedan, and I need a little help. I have a brand-new pair of KYB strut cartridges sitting in the house that I picked up off Fleabay over a year ago. According to KYB's .pdf catalog, these front cartridges, SKU #363060, are for all 1988-92 FWD with serviceable strut (excluding GT-S). Yet I see also that there are also sealed struts for the exact same description of car. The catalog shows no differentiation between sedans, coupes, or wagons, just "All FWD" or "GT-S Model".



Does anyone here know offhand whether the 1992 DX sedan has sealed or serviceable front struts? Or is there an easy way to tell without removing the suspension? I just wanted to find out before I take the car to the mechanic for the job, only to find out I have the wrong damn struts.



Not that this has anythig to do with the price of coffee in Brazil, but I had a base 1987 AE82 sedan which had serviceable front struts with cartridges, which I guess is why I bought the cartridges for the 1992. Did some of the sedans come with serviceable struts, and others of the exact same type and model year come with sealed units? Is Toyota insane?



Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your help, guys. I did do a search on "sealed strut cartidge" in the AE92 forum, but the results were inconclusive. Lots of info if I had a GT-S lol.

Reply 1 : 1992 front cartridge-style or sealed strut assembly?



my wagon has sealed struts. have to replace the whole thing.

Reply 2 : 1992 front cartridge-style or sealed strut assembly?



Yup, some came with sealed and some had cartridge type.



I have spare front sr-5 serviceable strut case (just the shell) if you want. lmk

Reply 3 : 1992 front cartridge-style or sealed strut assembly?



If it has a hexagonal nut on the top of the thick part of it it's servicable



It will look like this if it's servicable:





take off the wheel and look at it.

Reply 4 : 1992 front cartridge-style or sealed strut assembly?



Or if your car sits high enough, you can see it above the wheel without taking it off. You might have to reach in and move the bellows in the middle of the spring to see.

Reply 5 : 1992 front cartridge-style or sealed strut assembly?



sedans aren't serviceable..... I've only heard the GTS and the one pair in the SR5 being serviceable.

Reply 6 : 1992 front cartridge-style or sealed strut assembly?




Quote:








Originally Posted by toyotaspeed90
View Post

sedans aren't serviceable..... I've only heard the GTS and the one pair in the SR5 being serviceable.



no, they are, they're just smaller serviceable struts. I stumbled across a sedan in the junkyard with a set.

Reply 7 : 1992 front cartridge-style or sealed strut assembly?



While on the topic, anyone had any luck gutting the rears and using choice of cartridge? Whats known to fit?

Reply 8 : 1992 front cartridge-style or sealed strut assembly?



If you gut the rears the only thing that'll fit easily is a koni yellow. It's designed to fit like that. You put a bolt through the bottom of the strut to hold it in place.



There is no top nut on the rears like there is on the front...

No comments:

Post a Comment