Saturday, March 19, 2011

New Suspension Worth It?



My 1998 Camry has 215k on it. I haven't had it too long, but I've made a dozen cheap fixes to it: headlights, interior lighting was all burnt out, glove box was hanging open, side view mirror was glued on, oil was dirty, thermostat was stuck open, etc. Timing belt, brakes, and tires all new. Total, this cost me under $1500, and that includes the car!! Blue Book is $2800 even at high miles.



But the suspension is clunking. Apparently there's no way of knowing if it's the strut, mount, or bearing (is the bearing not a part of the strut or mount?). I can get 4 struts new for $300 through this guy I know. I could spend a day putting them on, or I could have the place do it for about $200. But then, I would probably have to spend about $50 extra for the mounts (and then the bearing?).



I have the money to spend, I plan on keeping the car a while at least, and a smooth ride will increase its resale value when I do sell it. I want it to be a smooth ride, yet I don't need it to be. Is it stupid to put money into this car? What would you do? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment