Friday, March 25, 2011

header worth it? 4afe



so my 92 5 speed wagon has a bad exhaust leak near the manifold which I assume to be the infamous manifold crack. I'm going to replace the manifold very soon and was wondering if a header is worth the money.



I found a manifold on eBay for 60 bucks and pacesetter longtube header for 120. would I see a noticeable gain in performance or gas mileage? I'm going to delete the catalytic converter and I have a short ram intake on it already. I just don't know if a header is worth the extra money.



has anyone used the pacesetter header on a 4afe? if so what did you think?

Reply 1 : header worth it? 4afe



bump. Trying to find out how much there is to gain with a header. I've searched on here and found nothing but people talking about fitment or quality of different headers but nobody said if there was a decent gain.

Reply 2 : header worth it? 4afe



Eh, you'll probably feel something but measurably it may be very small. Go with the ebay, iirc the pace setter is the same thing.

Reply 3 : header worth it? 4afe



No power gain with either a header or deleting the cat (unless cat is clogged due to years of driving with the engine poorly tuned). Gains come from tuning the car the way it was when it left the factory. Using factory spark plugs purchased from a Toyota dealer, for example, will give you plugs set to a tight .029 or .030" in gap which is great for power. Cleaning up your gooey throttle plate will give you power gains too as will a new oxygen sensor, new Toyota air filter and setting the ignition timing to factory spec. Cracked manifolds don't happen if the 4afe owner is willing to drive the car gently for the first 3 miles in the morning.

Reply 4 : header worth it? 4afe




Quote:








Originally Posted by verlaryder
View Post

No power gain with either a header or deleting the cat (unless cat is clogged due to years of driving with the engine poorly tuned). Gains come from tuning the car the way it was when it left the factory. Using factory spark plugs purchased from a Toyota dealer, for example, will give you plugs set to a tight .029 or .030" in gap which is great for power. Cleaning up your gooey throttle plate will give you power gains too as will a new oxygen sensor, new Toyota air filter and setting the ignition timing to factory spec. Cracked manifolds don't happen if the 4afe owner is willing to drive the car gently for the first 3 miles in the morning.



no offense but you sound like you're just trying to sell me Toyota parts. factory settings are almost always not set ideal for MPG or power but set to run rich and retarded timing for reliability. I know this isn't a performance engine but if I can upgrade and get a gain I will.



I know for a fact my intake flows better than factory. that's a MPG gain and throttle response gain over a factory Toyota filter. I know a header will flow better and I will see a gain but I'm trying to see what other people have seen as to it being worth the extra money.



I know how cars work and how to gain power. I also know how to maintain my car. I'm ASE certified. just trying to feed off of other people's experience before I spend money.

Reply 5 : header worth it? 4afe



you know, i had some pacesetter headers on my old ae92 sedan, and the sound it made was awesome, it was the closes thing i had to a impreza it had a awesome rumble and when i put the exhaust 2.25 straight back it was even meaner rumble(i had a flex pipe put in too) with the apex N1 style ebay muffler. i loved it soo much, the little bit more kick to having a CAI, headers, exhaust and adj fuel reg. i drove the car like litterally 200 miles and the headers cracked and broke off the flanges on the head... thats my experience with pacesetter headers for my ae92 sedan... =(

Reply 6 : header worth it? 4afe




Quote:








Originally Posted by mapolley07
View Post

no offense but you sound like you're just trying to sell me Toyota parts. factory settings are almost always not set ideal for MPG or power but set to run rich and retarded timing for reliability. I'm ASE certified.



The Toyota engineers would tell you the factory fuel mixture is set for the lean for top fuel economy and emission control. Here's a quote out of the 1976 Toyota Corona owners manual: "Your new engine is tight and runs on a very lean fuel mixture for emission control."



When they were new and equipped with Toyota parts, 4AF and 4AFE Corollas with 5-speed manual trannys delivered 35-37 MPG at highway speeds of 60-70 MPH. But the owners on this forum who are contemplating installing headers and/or disconnecting their catalytic converters are only getting around 28-32 MPG because they use aftermarket spark plugs that come with wide spark plug gaps, their throttle plates have gooey deposits, their oxygen sensors are moderately to heavily worn, their ignition timing is not set to factory specs, some of the valve clearances may be looser than factory specs, etc.

Reply 7 : header worth it? 4afe



I read somewhere that the headers off of a newer model corolla (98+ i think?) with the 7/4afe has a better header design as it is a 4-2-1 header.

Reply 8 : header worth it? 4afe




Quote:








Originally Posted by verlaryder
View Post

The Toyota engineers would tell you the factory fuel mixture is set for the lean for top fuel economy and emission control. Here's a quote out of the 1976 Toyota Corona owners manual: "Your new engine is tight and runs on a very lean fuel mixture for emission control."



When they were new and equipped with Toyota parts, 4AF and 4AFE Corollas with 5-speed manual trannys delivered 35-37 MPG at highway speeds of 60-70 MPH. But the owners on this forum who are contemplating installing headers and/or disconnecting their catalytic converters are only getting around 28-32 MPG because they use aftermarket spark plugs that come with wide spark plug gaps, their throttle plates have gooey deposits, their oxygen sensors are moderately to heavily worn, their ignition timing is not set to factory specs, some of the valve clearances may be looser than factory specs, etc.



I agree with only part of this. I agree that a lot of people complain about gas mileage yet aren't willing to keep the car tuned up or even check their tires.



#1.... lean actually makes more power. cars (especially boosted ones) are run rich because lean is hotter and increases the possibility of knock.... which can ultimately destroy a motor.



#2... "Toyota" parts are not special. They just aren't. This has been gone over and over... yet those who are gung-ho on "original Toyota" parts aren't ever willing to listen. Toyota doesn't make most of their parts. They assemble. It would cost them way too much to have a plant that makes spark plugs, wires, o2 sensors, etc.



Factory spark plugs are Nippon Denso. NGK's are just as good for imports. Spark plug gaps can always be attained from any parts worker and it's up to you to check the gap.



Factory o2 sensors are made by NTK (which is the same company as NGK). Bosch are widely available and what come factory in many german cars -- either way, NTK or Bosch are available easily.









as for other comments.... in NA there was no 4/7afe after 1997. The heads are designed differently, I would guess that the exhaust ports aren't the same (could be wrong, though). intake ports ARE different and there are other, subtle, changes. Around 1991/1992/1993 is also when Toyota went from a 16v 4age to a 20v 4age... and many more changes were made... it was a generation change for the corolla and I would guess the exhaust ports are different on a 4/7afe head.

Reply 9 : header worth it? 4afe



I had a Pacesetter (black) header on a Tercel, and was quite dissappointed at how quickly it rusted. within about 2 months the whole thing was covered with a coat of rust.

It never cracked or leaked for the 3 years that I had it on the car, but it made me ashamed to open my hood. I won't buy a Pacesetter again.



I had a chrome OBX header on a 92 Corolla (4A-FE), but I never drove that car with the stock manifold installed, so I couldn't compare the performance. I had bought it with a blown head gasket, and the manifold was cracked.



I don't think you should expect a sizeable performance gain with just a header, but it will save weight, and look cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment